Time after Time

It's true... I like to use song titles if I can when coming up with new subjects.

Today I wanna tackle the issue of time and time management for writers. Or at least this writer.

I've often had to resist the urge to spork someone in the eye when I hear the following out of people who find out I'm a writer: "Oh, I'd write a book if I only had the time!"

As if time were the only requirement! But today, let's say it is.

If you're an unpublished author, you are afforded the one time luxury of taking all the time in the world writing those first works. Dead to Me, for instance, was written over a period of three or four years, which would have taken maybe half the time had I not decided to switch it from third to first person halfway through.

Book 2 in the series, however, is not afforded that luxury. I had a year to turn it in, which meant I really had to pay attention to time. Here's how the schedule breaks down:
  • Late March 07 to mid-December 07- write first draft of book2 in a state of panic mixed with dread, hoping I can suddenly write a lot quicker
  • mid-December 07 to January 1, 2008- Don't touch my first draft at all, forget it exists so I can read and fix it up like it was foreign to me in the new year
  • Jan 1,2008 to Jan 10, 2008- make an initial round of edits to first draft
  • Jan 10 to Feb 1,2008- have beta readers rip it apart and give me their notes
  • January 24, 2008- celebrate my birthday by opening all my glorious fanmail
  • Feb 2, 2008- celebrate Groundhog's Day by grilling a delicious groundhog
  • Feb 3 to Feb 26, 2008- make corrections to draft based on many of the notes given to me by the beta folks
  • Feb 26, 2008- Dead To Me releases, reading and book party, also turn in manuscript on book 2
Also, I have two stories due in to anthologies in that time as well.

So setting aside the time and planning out a manageable schedule, as you can see, becomes a necessity... but you need not wait until your published to start thinking of time management.

Why not start now? If you're really decided in your heart of hearts that you want to give writing a real shot and are committing yourself to it, start today. Plan out when is the best time to write for you? Then put yourself in that seat and write. If it isn't coming, tough! Stay in that seat til you train your brain to perform during that time. Teach it to salivate to your Pavlovian bell of writing time!

And for those of you married or co-habitating, make sure to come up for air once in awhile to say hi to the spouse, loved one, or to pet the cat. And eat and pee, not necessarily in that order... or if you are in a groove, comfortable Depends may be your answer!

Just remember to thank me in your acknowledgments for all this helpful (and free!) advice!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE WRITE PRETENDAS

Excerpt time!

Yeah, one more reluctant adult here with free books