Saturday, November 12, 2011

To err is who man

We all make typos. There's no getting around it. If you're human and type a lot, you will make typos. That's what beta readers and editors are for. Plus, in this day and age, you've always got a spellchecker handy to flag your mistakes for you. It's kind of hard to let a typo slide if Microsoft Word tells you in red that you spelled something wrong.

Unless, of course, your typo isn't misspelled. This is a problem I have all the time. When I'm typing quickly, I substitute words that sound like the word I intended to type. It's like my brain is hooked on phonics. And I don't mean I have a homonym problem. I know when to use they're and their, cast and caste, etc. No, I substitute words that sound *like* the word I intended--but not exactly like it. Like so:

I arrived at seven on the doubt.


Yeah. I probably don't need to tell you that I intended to use "dot" there. This one's obvious too:

Our leaves depended on it.


That doesn't make sense, unless perhaps it's spoken by some harried gardener who needs to get a yard cleaned up ASAP. And seriously--I do these ALL THE TIME. I'm currently going over the second Bloodlines book and am in awe of all the sounds-alike substitutions I did while typing the first draft. None, however, are as magnificent as this one:

I found the candles--atrocious air freshening ones that smelled like fake pain.


This was supposed to be "fake pine," but man, I'm not going to lie. Fake pain--whatever it smells like--sounds awesome. Does it smell like Teen Spirit? Can I find a way to spin this into money-making merchandise with fake pain scented candles or cologne? That typo is so good, I kind of want to leave it in there.

Am I the only one who does this kind of thing? Is there a name for it?

6 comments:

Candace said...

I once typed "conflagration" when I meant "conflation." I wish I remembered the rest of the sentence. My advisor and I laughed about it for a solid 10 minute.

Alii Silverwing said...

I do this *all the time*, especially when I'm tired. I know it's time for me to sign off and bed when I start substituting words. I usually say that I'm starting to homonym.

I wish I could find some of my recent examples. They're pretty spectacular and sometimes only barely related. Like 'alone' and 'only' in saying, "leave me only!"

bettielee said...

I do this, but I do the homonym thing, too. I know the it's its differentiations... but sometime I throw that apostrophe in for no reason.

SquidKiller said...

I'm not sure the typos qualify as a mondegreen (the mishearing or misinterpretation of a phrase as a result of near homophony, in a way that gives it a new meaning. It most commonly is applied to a line in a poem or a lyric in a song) but that's the closest word I can think of.
And yes. I do "harms" for "arms" and that all of the time - even when I'm writing by hand.

Christy Lynn said...

It's called a malapropism after a character in a play, Mrs. Malaprop, who often did the same thing :)

Kitty said...

My biggest problem, is when I write words, (not so much when I type, usually i can keep my mind on track then) I write the middle and end of the word before I write the first, which if you are really tired, can confuse you as to what the word was really supposed to be... I don't know how many times in school my teachers looked at me like I suddenly grew two heads because of it. Finally a teacher had been watching over my shoulder and watched as I wrote and asked me what I was doing, I didn't know that it was that weird haha

Who the HELL Do We Think We Are?

We're a bunch of paranormal romance and urban fantasy authors who occasionally blog, make filthy jokes and prowl the halls of conferences and conventions with switchblades!

Current roster: Mario Acevedo, Michele Bardsley, Sonya Bateman, Dakota Cassidy, Carolyn Crane, Molly Harper, Kevin Hearne, Mark Henry, Stacia Kane, Jackie Kessler, J.F. Lewis, Daniel Marks, Richelle Mead, Kelly Meding, Allison Pang, Nicole Peeler, Kat Richardson, Michelle Rowen, Diana Rowland, Jeanne C. Stein, K.A. Stewart, Anton Strout, and Jaye Wells

******************