For the last six years our books have been stored in a three-drawer bureau... and a hope chest.... and the TV cabinet.... and under our bed. We have a lot of books.
So David and I decided to add a bookshelf all around the top edge of our bedroom like a wallpaper border. We only managed to fill half of the bookshelves. I have to buy more books. (Poor me.)
While I was stocking the shelf, I realized a few things- one, that I'm not tough enough to be a librarian! My arms are so sore. Other observations:
-The first book I put on the shelf was "Writing Romance Novels for Dummies." When I bought it, I was young and thought that possessing those books somehow guarenteed that I would someday be published.
- I collect copies of "Pride and Prejudice" like crazy people collect copies of "Catcher in the Rye."
- I own enough Ann Rule "woman snaps and kills her husband in a grisly manner" books to make David pretty nervous.
- I like a lot of authors whose names begin with "R" - Roberts, Rowling, Riordan, Rule..
- It's more difficult to shelve the books in alphabetical order when you know the authors by their real names, not their pen names. I'm looking at you, Jennie Bentley.
- I like making interesting author neighbor combinations. I put Shirley Jump next to John Jakes. I put Delilah Marvelle next to Lucy M. Montgomery. I think they would all get along.
- Also, I put my erotica collection next to the Twilight books, because it amuses me.
- Speaking of my erotica collection, I don't know if it's because I'm paranoid, but for some reason, titles like "Taming Samantha" and "Their Virgin Captive" seem to stand out more than the other titles.
- If there is an earthquake, I am completely screwed.