In the League Lounge: Rachel Vincent!


As it's becoming a rarity to have a weekend interview around these parts, I like to keep up the tradition of cocktails by the Tiki bar. So, I wandered into the League Lounge to set up and to my surprise, found Rachel Vincent already nursing a sinister concoction she mixed for herself. She calls it a Jaguar and I for one am a little frightened of what could be in it.

Mark: Hi Rachel! (I grab the drink and swirl it) should I be concerned?

Rachel: Well, a jaguar does have quite a bite. Try it.

Mark: Well, if you insist. (I take a long slug) Damn, girl! That shit burns going down. I better get to some questions quick before I end up dancing on the bar. So your new book Rogue follows your werecat heroine, Faythe, on some new prrrrrfectly exciting adventures, yes?

Rachel: Naturally. Faythe's playing with the big boys now, and she only knows one way to play...

Mark: Tell us all about it. Everything. Don't leave out a single detail. I hate to wait. (I slurp the murky Jaguar through a bendy straw)

Rachel: This time, Faythe is up to her canines in dead tomcats and missing human women. And as usual, her personal life is refusing to stay personal. Add to that a persistent ex-boyfriend, a insistent current boyfriend, and problems cropping up from her past, and Faythe certainly has her paws full.

Mark: So why werecats? I mean, really. Were you a fan of CATS: the Musical? t.s. elliot? Did you ever push yourself away from the computer in a jellical fashion and scream, "MACAVITY!?!?!"

Rachel: Ha! Actually, I was a fan of CATS as a kid, and there's a character in book four nicknamed Macavity. But no one else seems to get it.

Mark: Do you have an opinion on lolcatz? Garfield minus Garfield? Certain Feral creatures?

Rachel: I love LOLcatz and have been known to speak their language at random inappropriate times. No one gets that either. As for Feral, do you mean Amanda Feral? I love Amanda. That girl doesn't make apologies, and you gotta respect her for that. That, and her healthy appetite.

Sorry, though, I don't know what you mean about Garfield...

Mark: (handing Rachel my empty glass) Can I get another one?

Rachel: Sure, but only if you're out of cat references. One more, and I may garnish this with a hairball, rather than an olive.

Mark: Got it. Promise. Many League readers are aspiring writers and are thus fascinated by first sale stories. You've probably told yours a thousand times, huh? Care to make it a thousand and one?

Rachel: (handing over fresh Jaguar) Sure. My agent gets most of the credit for my first sale. She drummed up some interest, and we had ourselves a little auction. It was very exciting, but equally overwhelming. Oh, and the first offer came in on Friday the 13th. Seriously. An offer for a book about black cats. On Friday the 13th. Weird, huh?

Mark: I guess (slurp). Watcha been readin' lately?

Rachel: Actually, I'm reading Happy Hour of the Damned. It's the most awesomely gruesome book I've ever read. I'm impressed. And suddenly not very hungry.

Mark: Thank you, I try. You're going to be at Romantic Times in April, right? So am I. Should I be afraid? Do you like the con circuit?

Rachel: Oh yes, be afraid! I may look small, but I'm scrappy. Kidding of course. And yes, I love cons. I go to three or four a year, including a couple of local ones. But the big ones are my best chance to catch up with friends and meet readers.

Mark: I know I promised not to bug you about it anymore, but, seriously, Aristocats or The Aristocrats?

Rachel: Aristocats. Definitely. I'm probably dating myself here, but Thomas O'Malley is the original alley cat. No question.

Mark: Man this Jaguar is kicking my ass. We should probably wrap this up before I lose bladder control. What's in this thing anyway?

Rachel: What's not in it? I really have no idea. I just started pouring from different bottles. Bailey's goes well with tomato juice, right?

Mark: Well thanks for comin' anyway. (Passes out)

******************************
Why not visit Rachel at her website and pick up Rogue and Stray in bookstores now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE WRITE PRETENDAS

Yeah, one more reluctant adult here with free books

Excerpt time!