No rest for the wicked, or the writer, or the wicked writer
I have been busy. I have a November 1st deadline for the first book of my new series for Ace, The Spellmason Chronicles. All these characters are a bit new to me, not like heading out with the Simon Canderous D.E.A. crew, so it’s been an interesting ride so far. On top of that I’m trying to finish up a YA steampunk thing I’m looking to sell, I have a sekrit project on submission, another sekrit project to help my fellow authors, and I spent the last month speaking at San Diego Comic Con, Gen Con in Philly (Author Guest of Honor in the house..woot!), and Authors After Dark in Philly. So I’m a bit crazed in a boo-hoo-poor-working-author kind of way.
So I polled my Facebookers for what I should talk about this month. The five suggestions were:
- my love of the Green Bay Packers
- proper nutrition for a writing/gaming life
- my secret addiction to lolcats
- things I’ve written that make me laugh out loud... or tear up
- food cravings I have as I write
So, in order, my answers are:
- the Green Bay What-ers? Several years ago a friend of mine had me on a program where I learned a new football player on the team each week.. that knowledge has long since left me (but I can easily name all the Dwarves from The Hobbit… go figure)
- Gobstoppers, Doritos, Lemonheads, and a 67 oz. Diet Pepsi and/or Mt. Dew, not necessarily in that order
- My addiction to lolcats is no secret… I’ve even used them in my advertising sometime. See?
- I have cried twice when doing readings of my stuff. The latest was a reading of Lowstone, a Steampunk Wild West piece coming out in Westward Weird Feb or March 2012. The other was reading ‘Stannis’ from Spells of the City, which is the basis for the Spellmason Chronicles. When I get something written that really works, the emotion gets to me when I’m reading it back and yeah, I get a little teary… in a totally manly way.
- I don’t crave food when I write… however, I ALWAYS want PEZ. Lemon PEZ. Yeah, I don’t get it either. I do find when the writing gets hard, I sometimes need to step away, go eat something, then come back refreshed, but I don’t crave anything specific
Do YOU have any pressing questions about my clearly glamour author life? Speak up in the comments!