Urban Fantasy Inspirations

They can come from the weirdest places. But I always know the ones that are going to stick in my mushy brains and squeeze there way out onto the page.

Allison is one*.



I've watched this episode of Intervention three times already and it's only been out for a week. There's something so creepily Blue Velvet about it that I rethink Dennis Hopper's performance--maybe it wasn't "over-the-top" after all. Just weird and fantastic.

It's not that Allison is addicted to inhalants that has me so fixated, it's the method of her use. That slurping down chemicals between every sentence. The effect it has on her voice. The total pupal dilation. It's the fact that she uses an everyday product that no one ever thinks about--well Allison thinks about it...a lot. But that's beside the point.

For me, Urban fantasy needs to be like Allison--or at least include glimpses--everyday products, people, settings, body functions juxtaposed with bizarre situations.

What inspires you?


*A warning: if you decide to follow-up this clip and watch the remainder of the episode, just know that Allison is a "cutter" and the scenes are very graphic. Don't say I didn't warn ya.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE WRITE PRETENDAS

Yeah, one more reluctant adult here with free books

Excerpt time!