Guest Interview: Beth Fantaskey Returns!





You may recall our friend Beth Fantaskey, whom I interviewed earlier this year to discuss her fantastic YA vampire novel, JESSICA'S GUIDE TO DATING ON THE DARK SIDE. And you may recall my shameless, petulant whining for a sequel, expanding on the main character's relationship with her dark, brooding vampire prince, Lucius. Jessica Packwood has always known she was adopted. She did not know she was the last princess born to a noble and ancient vampire line. Or that she was promised in marriage to the son of a rival royal vampire clan in a ceremony just after she was born. When her betrothed- posing as a yummy, if somewhat arrogant foreign exchange student from Romania- shows up on her first day of senior year to demand her hand, her whole world is turned upside-down. As the book comes to a close, Jessica is faced with her greatest task yet, planning the royal wedding that will unite Lucius' house with her own.

While Beth has spent the last few months focusing on her next project, JEKEL LOVES HYDE, instead of catering to my every whim, she's done the next best thing. She's planning Jessica's wedding online!

So, welcome back, Beth! How have you been? How had life changed since we saw you last?
Beth Fantaskey: This fall has been crazy. I’m teaching two nights a week at a university, putting the finishing touches on Jekel Loves Hyde, “hosting” Jess and Lucius’s wedding (see below!), and of course seeing to the care and feeding of my five- and six-year-old kids. I swear, I had just thought, “Okay, I can handle all of this as long as nothing goes wrong,” when I fell down an entire flight of stairs and broke my hand. So now I’m trying to learn to do everything one-handed. It’s a little challenging! But it’ll all get done…
MH: So tell us about the online wedding package people can find at Bethfantaskey.com. Be sure to mention the catch the bouquet contest, which has received more than 1,000 responses! (Wow!)

Beth: The wedding has been amazingly fun. Ever since my book came out, readers have been asking to see the main characters, Jess and Lucius, get married. So this summer, I asked fans to serve as “bridesmaids” and help me plan the wedding. They voted on the dress, the location, the music – and whether the ceremony should be sealed with a bite or a kiss, since Jess and Lucius are vampires. Now I’m writing and posting the wedding chapters on my website. It’s challenging to generate a few chapters every other day, but the response has been great. I’m hosting a “catch the bouquet” contest, and I have well over 1,000 entries already. (Thanks to everyone who’s left comments!)

To enter the contest and qualify for a prize package including a signed copy of Jessica's Guide, one of the very first advance copies of her new books, a T-shirt with the Jessica's Guide cover art, and other fun surprises, click here.

MH: Why did you start the additional online content? Was it because of shameless begging from people like me who desperately want a sequel?

Beth: I don’t like to use the word “begging…” But there have been a lot of sequel requests. Since I really couldn’t focus on that while completing Jekel Loves Hyde, I thought the wedding would be a way to thank everybody who asked for more of Jess and Lucius.

MH: Does it feel strange to plan a wedding for your characters? Does “Jessica” make the choices, or are you basically planning the wedding you always wanted?

Beth: No, this is purely Jess’s wedding! I see it all through her eyes – and the eyes of the readers who helped plan it. Although I have to admit, I’ve loved putting it all together. So romantic!

MH: Is this going to lead to another Jessica book? Or will it remain online content?

Beth: I am definitely seriously considering a sequel… but it’s too soon to make promises. If it does happen, the story would pick up after the wedding, which I’ll keep posted on my site.

MH: Tell us about Jekel Loves Hyde.

Beth: It’s the story of two teenagers who discover that they share a mysterious connection to the old Robert Louis Stevenson novel, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. As they work to solve the puzzle, they become more attracted – and more dangerous – to one another. It’s got lots of twists and turns – and romance, of course!

And it's available in bookstores and Amazon in May 2010.
MH:What’s next for you?
Beth: Getting this cast off! That’s the next big event on my calendar. (See how I skillfully avoided that word “sequel?”)

You're a slippery one, Beth! Be sure to check out Beth's contests and online content at bethfantaskey.com

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi :)
Thank you for the great interview with Beth Fantaskey & thanks to Beth for sharing.
I've been hearing great things about Jekel Loves Hyde. It sounds intriguing & I've put it on my Get&Read list.
Thanks again for sharing,
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo
Unknown said…
I have JESSICA'S GUIDE TO DATING ON THE DARK SIDE on my wishlist. Hopefully I will be able to get a copy soon. It looks amazing.
Leslie said…
great interview! i saw this book like a month ago on someones wow and thought it was awesome! so excited!

Popular posts from this blog

THE WRITE PRETENDAS

Yeah, one more reluctant adult here with free books

Excerpt time!