SNOOOOOOOOOW!

So around this time last year, we had a huge ice storm in Kentucky. "Ice Storm 2009" basically paralyzed my hometown for weeks. We're talking no power, grocery/gas shortages, price gouging on generators... male neighbors shaving their heads in their driveways because they were tired of cold shampoos/showers. I spent a week camping out in my in-laws' living room, in front of their fireplace, with two children under the age of five.

We all made it out alive, but just barely.

During that time, I used being trapped by frigid, icy weather, in the dark, to get in the right frame of mind to write 20 (longhand) pages of a werewolf romance set in Alaska. My agent just sold the still-untitled werewolf book to Pocket Star. And just as I started writing the sequel, also set in Alaska... it started snowing heavily in Paducah.

My first thought: If I have to sleep in someone else's living room again, one of us isn't getting out alive.

Though it snowed heavily for two days and the temperates stayed in the 10 to 20 degree range (almost unheard of for our area), the power has stayed on.

Maybe I should take a day or two off from writing... just so I don't jinx myself into another outage.

For now, here's a little preview of Mo, my new paranormal heroine. Mo Duvall-Wenstein is the child of unapologetic hippie helicopter parents. Sick of their constant phone calls, their manipulations, their tendency to go through her fridge and throw out her lunch meat and Ho-Hos, Mo makes an impromptu move from Mississippi to Grundy, Alaska. It's as far as she can go without changing her citizenship. Despite being welcomed into the community and the position of "head chef" at the local saloon, Mo is immediately at odds with reticent werewolf field guide, Cooper Graham. And here is an example of a typical interaction between them.

(You'll have to scroll down a little.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice. I really liked the snippet. Hippie helicopter parents huh? Interesting. Very interesting.

-Tom
Anonymous said…
BTW, your blog didn't offer anonymous comments, and I'm not going to join another service (Google) just to comment.

Popular posts from this blog

THE WRITE PRETENDAS

Yeah, one more reluctant adult here with free books

Excerpt time!