And now for something completely expected

I told you guys I was going to talk about “the process,” and that’s exactly what I’m going to do for the next few weeks.  If there’s anything specific you’d like me to talk about, ask in a comment, or in my personal forum, or in a message to me.



I’m going to alternate Talking About Myself (one of my favorite activities) with Talking About Other People.  I have interviewed three writers who are all at different stages of the process.  First, we’ll have Gretchen McNeil, who just fought off FOUR (count ‘em, FOUR) agents to find a match made in heaven.  Next, we have Jen Hayley, who is at the revisions stage with her own agent.  Finally, we have Cindy Pon, whose YA Fantasy, Silver Phoenix, will be available April 28, 2009.  These are all women you’ll being seeing a lot of, soon, so here’s your chance to get to know ‘em.



But first I’m going to talk about myself.  Mmmmm.  Myself.  I wrote Tempest Rising, on a whim, after I’d completed my doctorate.  I was living in Edinburgh, Scotland, and I didn’t have anything to do all of a sudden.  My life had been completely dominated by my teaching and thesis-writing, but suddenly these were gone.  The thesis was done and defended, I was just about finished with the very short British semester, and I had nothing on my plate.  Then I went on a fortuitous visit to a little place called Shreveport, Louisiana, to interview for a job.  On the way back to the UK, my niece helped me pick out a book with a pretty cover about a girl who lived on the outskirts of Shreveport, and who was just about to drive into town to hang with the local vampires.  It was a book I ate up like candy, and it reminded me why I loved the urban fantasy genre so much as a child.  But this book was different from the ones I remembered.  This book was ironic, funny as hell, and really self-aware.  It knew it was a vampire book in a world full of vampire books.  It had this amazing tone that combined self-awareness, a hint of self-deprecation, hot supernatural nookie, and, rather paradoxically, a heady dose of reality.  It was the most believable fantasy book I could ever remember reading.  



And I knew I could write like that.  Something about the tone spoke to me, challenging me to try my own hand at the genre.  So I did.  I think I had my job interview in late February, 2008, but I know I had a first chapter when I went to Turkey at the end of April.  I remember because I went from Istanbul to the Lake District for a friend’s birthday celebration, and when everyone else went walking I stayed in our rented cottage with my friend, Ruth, who was finishing up her dissertation.  We sat in front of the fire.  She wrote her thesis; I wrote my second chapter; we cooked chickens.  It was a heavenly combination of a good friend, that feeling of excitement and energy that only comes with a great project, and the smells of woodsmoke and roasting chicken.  I finished Tempest Rising in June and I had an agent by August and a deal October 27.  



It was fast; it was furious.  I don’t know how much I really learned.  I know I did a lot of stuff incorrectly, and I learned mostly be faffing things up.  But I’ll take you through what I did to find an agent, slower, next Tuesday.  And this Thursday, we’ll hear from Gretchen McNeil: Agent Magnet.  



In the meantime, get in touch with your comments regarding your own experiences.  What made you start writing?  What kicked off a particular project or a particular idea?  How do you roast a chicken?

Comments

Anonymous said…
You were very impressive that weekend, and still are - I'm utterly in awe of your writing process! As I remember it, I spent more time on the crossword than my thesis. But the chicken was gooooood!
Nicole Peeler said…
It was the Guardian crossword, no? VERY intellectual. That's a thesis in itself. And the chickens were pretty outrageous. I miss you!
Ever made a roasted beer chicken? The one when you open a can of beer, shove it up the chicken's posterior, stand it straight up, and roast? Heavenly...
Nicole Peeler said…
YES! Beer can chicken!!!! YUM!
GB said…
What made me start writing? I had an idea for a story, a short story. It evolved. It could be made into a thing on its own. Then I discovered urban fantasy and knew my idea (supernatural goings on in a thoroughly modern setting) wasn't as unique as I thought. I'm going with it anyway.

Roast chicken? I go down to the local BBQ chicken place and buy one. Roast lamb, on the other hand, with home made gravy and spuds - I am the master.
Nicole Peeler said…
JD: That happened to me like forty times after I wrote my book. I thought I was so clever with my mythological creatures, then I sat and ticked them off, one by one, as I kept reading the new stuff in the genre.

And yum. Lamb. Mmmmmm.
Daisy Martin said…
Beer can chicken is the best!

A broken back and a doozy of a case of pancreatitis started my writing career. Oh, and an erotica author.

I was on medical leave from a large financial software company, because I came back from a 4 day trip to the American Royal (the world series of BBQ contests) with a nasty case of pancreatitis. About 2 months into my medical leave I was outside, running to grab the phone and flipped over a chair on the concrete driveway and fractured 3 vertabrae in my back. That caused a nasty spinal fusion and 2 years of recovery. I was so bored that I designed a webpage for an erotica author friend and next thing I know, I'm writing steamy romances. The rest is history.

Oddly enough, when I wrote my first "romance" I wasn't able to have sex because the stitches in my back were so fresh. (Yum, fresh stitches) So that proves the theory that those who can't, write about it.
Nicole Peeler said…
Okay, you win this contest (whatever contest it was) hands down, Oopsy Daisy. You managed to integrate BBQ, two forms of near dead experiences, and erotica. I am in awe. ;-) Thanks for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

THE WRITE PRETENDAS

Yeah, one more reluctant adult here with free books

Excerpt time!