What Does Your To Be Read Pile Say About You?

Let's start this one off with the list...

The Accidental Werewolf by Dakota Cassidy
War of the Oaks by Emma Bull
Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Street Magic by Caitlin Kittredge
When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris
World War Z by Max Brooks
The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril by Paul Malmont
Black Magic Woman by Justin Gustainis
The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson
Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster
Hell's Belles by Jackie Kessler
Heartsick by Chelsea Cain
One Mississippi by Mark Childress
The Night Gardener by George Pellicanos
Greywalker by Kat Richardson
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
A Miracle at Speedy Motors by Alexander McCall Smith
Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan
Bloodangel by Justine Musk
Duma Key by Stephen King
The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon
Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk

Okay, so what does it say?

1. The zombie guy hasn't read World War Z yet? That's pure laziness any way you slice it. You probably won't be surprised that I've not read Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide, either. Such a slacker. Seriously, any ideas I've formed on the subject have come from the movies...and my own fractured mind.

2. I'm more likely to pick up mysteries, comedies and horror more than my own genre, which is odd because I kind of see urban fantasy as a mixture of those three anyway. Now, that said. I buy up every urban fantasy title I can find and some paranormal romance, so I'm totally supportive that way.

3. I should be reading a couple of romances, just to get a feel for their structure. Despite being terribly abrasive and self absorbed, in the next two books, Amanda is getting a romantic arc that's going to test her ability to look beyond her own needs (in a comic way, of course--that was almost sounding serious).

4. I totally read my friend's books before others in the genre. Lucky for me, they're writing different enough stuff not to become monotonous. As soon as the material gets too homogenous, it's time to restructure friendships. I think you know what I'm talking about.

5. David Sedaris MUST be read within two days of the release of his book. This is not optional. He's a God of observational humor and a huge influence. Jen Lancaster is a close second (I challenge people that love Happy Hour to NOT laugh themselves into a pee puddle while reading Jen's Bitter is the New Black).

6. I read a lot of books based on recommendations. The awesome Jessica Morrell (she of the endless supply of writing knowledge) told me that Pellicanos kicks out dialogue so fierce, you can hear it in your head. Hill is getting a reputation for creeping people out (and I kinda like that).

7. I'm heavily influenced by my experiences. I picked up F. Paul Wilson's The Tomb based on seeing him perform Hotel California in full-on zombie butler drag at RT. Dakota, who is a bomb ass chick, forbade me to read her book, thereby forcing it to the top of the pile. Alexander McCall Smith did this amazing presentation at Pacific Lutheran U. last week (1600 people showed up to an author event--how amazing is that?).

8. My book club selections stand out like a Red-Headed Stepchild (winks @ Jaye). Anyone care to guess?


What's on your list? And better yet, why?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE WRITE PRETENDAS

Yeah, one more reluctant adult here with free books

Excerpt time!