Geek's Halloween

Would it surprise any of you to learn that some of my fondest memories of Halloween are of hiding behind pillows with my middle-school friends while we watched wildly inappropriate horror films? After trick or treating or G-rated parties, we'd all gather in my bedroom and turn on some gorefest we'd found at the video store. And shriek at the scary bits until my mother came upstairs and told us to shut up and go to sleep.

Ah, memories.

Here are my top scary moments (inspired by Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments). Feel free to jump in via comments!

The Exorcist
Not the vomiting scene or the scene where the priest's mom starts talking through Satan/Linda Blair. No, the thing that got me in Exorcist is when Father Merrin makes a tape (reel-to-reel, baby) of Regan's voice to be analyzed and finds out poor lil Devil Child is speaking English...BACKWARDS!

Poltergeist
Evil clown doll + girl who hates clowns = AIEEEE!

The Watcher in the Woods
As a disclaimer, I was six when this happened, but the possession scene where the little girl starts screaming "There is no Karen! Karen's dead!" and flipping her shit and using telekinesis on everyone...scarred me for LIFE.

Halloween
I wasn't expecting Halloween to be scary-scary, just 1970s John Carpenter scary, so when Michael Meyers comes out of the back seat and kills the crap out of a hapless high school girl--I yelped and grabbed my boyfriend, who was pretending he hadn't just yelped and grabbed for me. Men.

The Ring
Already primed to hate creepy little girls by Watcher in the Woods, The Ring freaked the crap out of me. The first time I watched it, I completely lost it when Samarra crawls out of the TV...inexorable, unstoppable, EVIL. And then I switched off the DVD player at the end of the movie and MY SCREEN REVERTED TO STATIC. I vividly remember whipping my head around to check for evil little girls coming to kill me with evil little hands.

There's my top five...what are yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE WRITE PRETENDAS

Yeah, one more reluctant adult here with free books

Excerpt time!