Haunted houses

Do you like going to haunted houses? Because I don't!

I'm not talking about a spooky rustic tour to a supposedly haunted locale. I'm talking about the kind of haunted house that you're supposed to go to for the purpose of being scared for Halloween. Usually its in a converted community center or legion hall, some such place. I hate them.

Why? First, I'm not a pussy. Yes, I like figure skating and Days of our Lives and musicals, but I'm no pussy. I'm not afraid I'm going to wet myself when people jump out at me. But I don't like the type of peeps that tend to work at them. I find peoples day to day activities horrifying enough which is why I have elements of horror in my writing and characters anyway... I don't need to amp that up with the unpredictability of local funsters jumping out at me, fighting to get a scare out of me for my ten minute tour through a spook house. I'm more likely to punch them or knee jerk defend myself than take it in the spirit it was intended. I fear these haunted house volunteers the way I fear the local toothless prison population that work in my hometown Wal-Mart.

That said. I LOVE going to the Haunted Mansion in Disney World... but it's predictable and on a track, so apparently that makes it okay in my book.

Also, I was that kid who showed up at eight dressed as D'Artanian with sword, cape and cheesy French mustache at one of them, as they said to dress up. I was the only one dressed up... that's a deeper psychological discussion than I'm willing to get into right now...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE WRITE PRETENDAS

Yeah, one more reluctant adult here with free books

Excerpt time!