Weirdness

Here at the League, we all write about some weird stuff. Some of us weirder than other--you know who you are.

But the truth is weirdness surrounds us. The old saw says truth is stranger than fiction. I think that's true. For example, this weekend, I was at the state fair and ran across a breed of sheep with four horns.


It's a bad picture, but trust me, those sheep were horny. I'd never heard of such a thing, but apparently Jacobs sheep have anywhere from two to six horns. Whodathunkit?

Sheep aside, writers are constantly taking real life influences and twisting them for our nefarious means. Some of it we just make up. But usually, we're the ones who notice oddities when our companions would walk right by.

An example, I was in Charleston on a girls' weekend once. We were sitting in a restaurant called Poogan's Porch. I'd just taken my first sip of iced tea when I looked out the window and spit it out. A seven-foot tall fallen angel was standing in front of the church next door. He had tall black wings and horns. He also wore a black loin cloth. I slapped my friends' arms and pointed. Pretty soon the entire restaurant was standing with our faces pressed to the window to gape at the hottie dark angel.

Eventually, we realized he was there for some sort of photo shoot. Hey, a fallen angel has to make money somehow, right? But the point is, because we rely so much on our powers of observation, writers notice some weird shit. Or maybe weird shit is attracted to us. Either way, all these experiences get put into a mental savings account, ready for withdrawal should our imaginations get overdrawn.

What's the most random weird experience you've had?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE WRITE PRETENDAS

Yeah, one more reluctant adult here with free books

Excerpt time!