Book auctions to help disaster victims

The internet makes the world a small place, and being an author makes that doubly true. Never did I imagine I would have the chance to interact with others from so many different countries. Readers from all around the world regularly drop by here, on Facebook, and on Twitter, and I'm grateful for the chance to meet so many people. I've only seen a small part of the world, but on a daily basis, I get to understand it a little bit more.

Watching the events in Japan unfold has been difficult for me. My heart goes out to everyone there, as well as to those of you who have loved ones there. It's heartbreaking to see so much news on the internet and TV--and to feel so far away and helpless. There are a number of charitable organizations I donate to that are doing good works, and I wanted to give some incentive for other people to donate. Here's the scoop.


Over the next couple weeks or so, I will be auctioning signed books through eBay's Giving Works programs. It works like this. I provide books that you can buy through eBay, just as you would normal items. The only difference is that 100% of the proceeds go to either Save the Children or the American Red Cross, both of which are doing work in Japan to help disaster victims. (They also help other tsunami-affected regions). Each listing will tell you which charity eBay will send the proceeds to. These are books provided from my own supply, and I will autograph them before they're shipped out. Bottom line is that you get a book (or books), and a worthy cause gets helped.

I know this will be disappointing to some, but at this point, these auctions are only available to people living in the United States. This is to ensure that items and delivery can be tracked through the mail. Since you're sending money for these charities, it's imperative to me that we make sure you get your items. It simply isn't feasible to do that with international shipping. I hope you can understand and are still able to donate in other ways to those in need.

I only have a few listings up right now. At the time of this post, there's a signed Succubus Blues, a set of German VA books, a set of French Georgina books, and some UK Eugenie books. All are starting out below cover price, and I'll take care of shipping charges. I'm trying to gauge interest by seeing how these do, and if there's a lot of demand, I'll eventually put up some more books because I would really love it if we can help these causes. A new seller account was created to list these books, and savvy eBay users know to be wary of sellers without feedback. But, I can assure you here, being the real and legit Richelle Mead, that eBay user "booksthatgive" is trustworthy and indeed legitimately selling my books and donating all the profit to charity. I am not affiliated with anyone else who might be claiming the same.

Ok. After all that build up, here's where you can view the eBay listings of my books. Please direct any other questions through eBay's site, and thank you so much for helping the disaster victims.

And of course, I hope many of you will donate to charitable organizations simply for the sake of donating. Charity Navigator is an excellent site that reviews charities and provides tips on which are the most legitimate to give money to. This site lists what some specific organizations are doing. The tiniest amount can help. So can good thoughts.

What happens one place in the world affects the rest of the world. Please keep those who are suffering in your thoughts. Thank you for all your help.

Cross-posted from my blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE WRITE PRETENDAS

Yeah, one more reluctant adult here with free books

Excerpt time!