American Title IV Finalist: P.E. Cunningham
1. Tell us a brief bit about yourself (and please include your pen
Pat Cunningham, aka Patricia Elizabeth Cunningham, which is why I go by P. E., because it's shorter. Just try fitting that name on those little two-inch lines on preprinted forms. I hate haperwork.
2. What's your story about in a nutshell (ooo look, it's me in a
nutshell!)? Please include the title of your book.
A Touch of Heaven. Her: half demon and the good guy. Him: half angel and the bad guy. What's keeping them apart: his friends are trying to build a god and she doesn't think that's a good idea. Oh, and they're biologically bound together and have to do it or die. Your basic paranormal storyline.
3. Is it true you write in a trance?
No, I write in bed with a cup of tea and the radio blasting. I do the first draft longhand, then type it into my computer. I can't write without background music, usually John Williams soundtracks. Star Wars rules!
4. Don't you secretly wish the other contestants would just drop
Not really, because I'm not a social person and dread the publicity whirl. Best-case scenario: somebody else wins, but I still sell my book. Enjoy the flashbulbs going off in your face; I'll be home on the couch laughing and going over my contract.
5. What is your favorite paranormal being and why?
Mutants and Vulcans. Not strictly paranormal, I know. That's my X-Men/Star Trek upbringing talking. Hey, the guy who plays Sylar on Heroes is going to play Spock in the new Trek movie. Talk about conflict of interest.
6. Ever had a paranormal experience yourself?
Nope. I even walked around Gettysburg with a camera trying to take pictures of ghosts. No luck. The closest I've gotten to a paranormal experience is watching those haunted houses shows on cable.
7. What's your writing ritual?
My writing ritual consists mostly of doing everything I can to avoid writing because it's hard work and I'm lazy. Eventually it comes down to writing or housework. That's when I write.
8. How much are you going to pee yourself if you win?
Oh jeez, gallons and gallons. And I've got shag carpet. Echhh.
9. If you could mud-wrestle any author, who would it be and why?
Stephen King, in the hopes the talent will rub off.
10. What kind of underpants would your main character wear?
Her: probably something practical, like Fruit of the Looms or something. Him: I'm pretty sure he goes commando.
11. You have to pick two cartoon characters to duke it out in a
colossal battle, Godzilla-style. Who would you pick and how would it
Not strictly cartoon characters, more comic book: Xena and Red Sonja. Xena would win because all Sonja's armor protects is her publishers from a decency lawsuit. That lady's one chainmail link away from a major wardrobe malfunction.
12. Alliance or Horde? Peas or carrots? Franks or beans?
Franks AND beans. Better yet, spaghetti and chocolate.