Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Those Tricksy Excerpts

So tomorrow I start posting the first of my weekly Personal Demons excerpts on my own blog, and picking them is...well, difficult.

See, I have a whole book to choose from. And I don't know what to pick. Clever dialogue? An action scene? Something sexy? Something funny?

On the one hand I don't want to pick anything from too far into the book, because that would require too much set-up. On the other hand, I want to make sure the excerpt is engaging enough without revealing any major twists. On the third hand (what? I can have three hands if I want) I want something with conflict and interest, something that at least gives readers a sense of where the book is coming from and where it's going.

So I want something that is fun and interesting without being nothing but action, that gives a sense of wht will happen without giving it all away, and that is involving but doesn't require any real set-up.

Should be easy to find. :rolleyes.

What sort of excerpts do you guys like?

No comments:

Who the HELL Do We Think We Are?

We're a bunch of paranormal romance and urban fantasy authors who occasionally blog, make filthy jokes and prowl the halls of conferences and conventions with switchblades!

Current roster: Mario Acevedo, Michele Bardsley, Sonya Bateman, Dakota Cassidy, Carolyn Crane, Molly Harper, Kevin Hearne, Mark Henry, Stacia Kane, Jackie Kessler, J.F. Lewis, Daniel Marks, Richelle Mead, Kelly Meding, Allison Pang, Nicole Peeler, Kat Richardson, Michelle Rowen, Diana Rowland, Jeanne C. Stein, K.A. Stewart, Anton Strout, and Jaye Wells

******************