I thought I'd share a list this week. It's something I used to do quite a bit on my personal blog and then I guess, just forgot that I liked to do it. It's sort of like Oprah, only I ain't givin' you shit. So here goes...
10. CAT'S CRADLE by Kurt Vonnegut. Subtle apocalyptic scifi by a master of satire. I had never read Vonnegut before and was totally ashamed to admit it. Now I'm hooked. His style is easy and accessible while the concepts are challenging and thought provoking. Most of all, it's funny.
9. Caitlin's Street Magic cover!! What? Look at Pete! She's totally bad-ass and Jack is buff as hell. I'm lovin' it! Plus it's super dark and London-y.
8. WORLD WAR Z by Max Brooks is blowing my freakin' mind. I'd tried to read Chuck Palahniuk's oral history attempt, RANT and just lost interest, but Brooks' interview format is just clinical enough that it shocks you when a character responds with something so horrifying it sticks with you for days.
7. Dear God why did they open a Carl's Jr. down in Lacey? I can't stop thinking about their Banana Pudding shake with real Nilla Wafers crushed inside. I'd sock my Moms for one right now. Seriously. It tastes just like the pudding when my mom would make it, only cold, because I could never wait and would always snatch a big spoonful warm from the oven.
6. Fringe (Fox TV). I wasn't certain about this show from the pilot episode but now I'm hooked. If you can get past the desire to refer to Joshua Jackson as Pacey, you'll see a genuinely fun little techno-mystery adventure mash-up. Plus there's gross-outs! Oh but where is Reaper?
5. My awesome mini-business cards from Moo. The paper is thick and the color is sharp, plus I get to see Len's vision of Amanda all the time and they come with a skull on the other side. A-fuckin-dorable! Shout out to Cherie Priest for the heads up on these bad boys.
4. Zombie ARCs! In the past few weeks, I've been collecting the March zombie releases in ARC form. I have the whole set. Count 'em: 5! Oh yes. There will be much zombiness coming your way, including another comedy (Breathers by Scott Browne), 3 YAs (The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan, You are So Undead to Me by Stacey Jay, and The Zombie Queen of Newberry High by Amanda Ashby), and...oh yeah...a little smoodge of Ms. Feral. Watch for contests!
3. Speaking of Zombies, Caroline and I watched DEMONS this weekend. Not like watched them rise from the gates of hell or anything. The movie DEMONS directed by Lamberto Bava and written by the great Dario Argento! Holy Crap what an 80s cheesefest. I loved it. I gotta buy it. Rick James zombie-thing spewing pea soup? Check? Go West on the soundtrack? Check? Superawful english dubbing? You bet. Run don't walk to your video store.
2. Have I mentioned my Belizian flyswatter/flagellator? It's awesome. I've yet to come across a fly problem since I've been back. But believe you me, I'm prepared.
1. Word Wars!!! Jaye and I and our friend Leah have been battling since last Thursday on AIM in a chatroom in these short bursts of competitive writing. I've never been so motivated or frankly productive. I hit 11,500 words today. It was slow at first but now I'm hitting a stride at around 3000 per day. And!! I feel good about what I've written. Slump over!!!
What are some of your favorite things (remember nobody's favorite things are being traded here or given away, if that holds you back at all)?