League Interview With Director Jeffrey Goodman

Nicole: Hi Jeffrey!  Great to have you here at the League.  Tell us a little about the film?



Jeffrey: Sure.  It’s entitled The Last Lullaby.  It’s co-written by the creator of The Road to Perdition and stars Tom Sizemore (who many people know from Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down) and Sasha Alexander (who many people recognize from NCIS, Dawson’s Creek, and most recently the films Yes Man and He’s Just Not That Into You.



The film is about this unusual bond that is formed between a hitman and a librarian.  And if I had to put it into a category, I’d call it a crime drama.



Nicole: That’s a very UF-ey phenomenon, the “normal” (often nerdy) female protag and a rather murderous, usually supernatural male.  What was it about the original story that inspired you?



Jeffrey: I think more than anything the fact that it fit in with exactly what I was looking to do.  I’ve always wanted to make a hybrid-type film.  One that had both some commercial potential but that would also allow me to express myself and some of my more personal ambitions.  The original story offered these two things in the perfect package, I felt. 




Nicole: How did you translate that vision, those ideas and those affective responses that the original story gave you, into film?



Jeffrey: Blood, sweat, and tears.



And I just tried to surround myself with as many talented people as I could who seemed to share a similar sensibility.  Then you just trust you’re all on the same page as you leap off the cliff together.



Nicole: Just how much RESPECT AND REMUNERATION did the writer receive on your film? 



 

Jeffrey: Lots of respect.  Less renumeration.  We actually had two writers.  Both of whom were great contributors to the film.



Nicole: Oh, so they must have just had ruby and emerald filled burritos and not diamonds.  That’s okay; I enjoy the colored stone.  Anyway, How can we see your film?



Jeffrey: Funny you ask.  You can follow what is happening with the film by joining our monthly update list.  To do that, all one has to do is send an e-mail to register@thelastlullaby.com with “Register Me” in the subject of the e-mail.



And then we open the film in the Regal Cinema at the Louisiana Boardwalk on May 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.  We will have a minimum of five screenings per day.  And I will be there to introduce each screening and answer questions with the audiences following each screening.  It’s gonna be a really amazing weekend.  And I’m hoping you guys out there will come to one of the screenings.  And encourage others to do the same.



Nicole: Awesome.  I’m there.  Would you ever make a sci-fi/fantasy film? 



Jeffrey: I would never say the never word.  But I must admit, I’m not sure that’s an area where I have the sharpest chops.  But like I said, I would never say…



Nicole: I’ve been told (Ian!) that the writer gets to help “cast” the film.  Is that true, or is my film agent lying to me to keep me sweet?



Jeffrey: Um, I hate to break it to you, but I think you need to get a new agent.   No seriously, most of the time probably not.   But every film is a different beast.  It just depends on the exact arrangement that is struck between the director, producer, and writer.



Nicole: Hmmm.  Well.  Can I just wander around Hollywood insinuating I’m casting a film?  Not really?  Damn.  Fine.  Finally, and you don’t have to answer this one . . . Did Tom Sizemore crush you like a can of Fanta when you tried to “cast” him?



Jeffrey: Tom was great.  I’ve been a fan of his work for a long time, and I feel like the planets really aligned on that one.  But, I’ll be the first to admit, if we got into a fist fight, I probably wouldn’t come out the victor.



Nicole: I’d have your back, Jeffrey.  I fight like a she-devil.  Okay, more like a slightly lugubrious meerkat, but whatever.  I still got your back against Sizemore.  In the meantime, peeps, here’s a wee clip.  The best part of the video is that I know the gal hitching up Tom’s britches at one point.  Hi Caryn!  Lovely lass.



THE LAST LULLABY CLIP



Film looks fantastic, Jeffrey, and I can’t wait to see it.  Thanks for sitting down with us here at the League.  Any questions for Jeremy?  Go ahead and ask in comments.  I'm sure he'll be kind enough to respond.  Or I'll just make up answers! ;-)

Comments

Great interview, Nicole. I'm big Tom Sizemore fan, and his performances rarely disappoint. :)
Stacia said…
Oooh! That looks really good, I love hitmen in movies and in books. And I love the idea that after retiring a hitman could miss "the life."

I have a question. You said you'd been looking for a project that had both commercial potential and the room for you to be a little more expressive personally. Were you involved in any way with the creation of the story itself?

Also, since film is a visual art, where do you feel you were able to make the biggest personal contribution? Is there a particular scene or moment that's your favorite?

Thanks for visiting us here!
Jeffrey Goodman said…
Hi Kelly,

Thanks you so much for your comment. I hope you have the chance to see the film. Tom's really, really good in it.

All the best,

Jeffrey
Jeffrey Goodman said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeffrey Goodman said…
Hi December/Stacia,

I was involved in the creation of the story. I worked closely in developing it with both writers, Max Allan Collins and Peter Biegen.

Oooh, that's a good question about where I was able to make the biggest personal contribution. I'd probably say in choosing the locations. Because I'm from Shreveport, and we shot here, I spent extra special care trying to find THE perfect place for each scene. And it really helped that I was a local and able to call in favors.

Probably my very favorite moment is the final one. But I have many.

Thanks so much!

All the best,

Jeffrey

Popular posts from this blog

THE WRITE PRETENDAS

Excerpt time!

Yeah, one more reluctant adult here with free books