Similar tastes?

Because my mind works in very strange ways, I was thinking last night about Lost in Translation.

Yeah, I know the movie is almost six years old, so what?

What strikes me about it is, even now, after those almost-six years, there's still a sort of love-it-or-hate-it issue around this film. Either you think it's a charming, wonderful, beautiful film about two people connecting in the midst of confusion, about how strangers can feel closer to you than your family, about how age and circumstance are less important than what's in your soul (I am in this camp); or you think it's a dull, insipid waste of time, full of vapid characters making dull small talk and doing nothing of interest (I don't know anyone in this camp--or do I?)

But what I find so interesting about LIT is, whether you love it or not really seems to have nothing to do with how smart you are, or how deep, or anything of that nature. You either get it or you don't, but I have certainly heard of some very smart people who don't get it. I think there are some films that cater to a certain type of person, and if you're not one of them you won't like it. There are some teen movies I can think of offhand like this; if you're in that age bracket you'll like it, if not you'll probably think it stinks (this did not use to be the case, back when John Hughes made films, but I digress.)

Point is, intelligent, thoughtful people can still hate LIT. They can also love it (again, like me. Because I love that movie.)

So what is it that they love? What is it that separates the lovers from the haters? Is it simply a certain type of upbringing? Is it having been in a similar situation? A level of ennui? Being such a huge fan of Bill Murray that you'd probably burst into tears if you met him? A loathing for Cameron Diaz?

Do you think this translates (no pun intended) to books? Is there a certain feeling you look for in books, a certain voice that attracts you?

Do you think LIT lover and LIT haters naturally gravitate toward each other?

What do you think? Can you think of any other films that are like this? Did you like LIT? What do you think that says about you, if anything?

I'm really curious about this. I love the idea of loving or hating a certain film or book being like a secret handshake or something. "I'm under Evelyn Waugh," we fans whisper to each other in public, and our eyes light up as we recognize a friend. Have you ever experienced something like that?

Have I asked too many questions? :-) I bet nobody's going to answer at all. You're all just going to roll your eyes and tell me to lighten up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE WRITE PRETENDAS

Excerpt time!

Yeah, one more reluctant adult here with free books