Writing is a Pain

I've been thinking lately about how I work. Not my process, but the actual set up of my work. I use a Macbook to write. I loves my Mac. It's got a great keyboard with thin keys that allow my fingers to fly.

The only problem I have it the setup of the keyboard is tough on the wrists. Lately, I've been having pain in my right wrist. It start a few months ago with some random numbness and occasional tingling. I put it off for a while, but now I'm afraid I might have the beginning stages of carpal tunnel. I also get frequent neck and backaches from poor posture and tensing up while I write.

It doesn't help that I usually sit on my patio when I write. This set up does nothing good for my posture. I type hunched over my keyboard with my wrist resting on the sharp corners of my laptop. Not good.

Well, I finally got wise. Last night, I purchased a new monitor. A twenty-inch flatscreen that will allow me to look up at the screen instead of down. It also allow me to work on my word docs on the bigger screen, while relegating my other programs to the laptop. Not only will this help my eyes, it will hopefully cut down on distractions. I also bought an ergonomic keyboard and a wrist rest. It may sound like I'm going overboard, but I'm not taking any chances. I'm in my thirties. I've got a lot of good writing years ahead of me, but not so much if I can't type.

Sorry for the practical post, but I don't see a lot of talk out there about the importance of ergonomics for writers. Does anyone have any other tips for avoiding the aches and pains of the writing life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE WRITE PRETENDAS

Excerpt time!

Yeah, one more reluctant adult here with free books