Granny is Evil

So I know this is a week about vampire mothers, but today I'm focusing on vampire grandmothers. Maybe for some of you, the term "grandmother" conjures images of grey-haired ladies in house coats. If we're talking a vampire granny, maybe you're thinking, hmm, I bet she makes a mean blood cobbler and is nice to vampire children. Not so, my friends.

See, in my world (or at least my fictional one), Sabina's grandmother is downright evil. In fact, she's one of the villains. Lavinia Kane is the Alpha Dominae of the vampire race. She's ancient. She's ruthless. And she's blood thirsty.

Instead of being feeble or kindly, Lavinia is a kick ass villainess of the first order. She's a blast to write too because the mere fact she is a grandmother challenges people's assumptions about age and strength. This is one granny you don't want to mess with.

I'm lucky enough to have two incredibly strong grandmothers. My mother's mom gave birth to six kids. She's hilarious, loves margaritas and doesn't take no for an answer. Ever. My father's mom gave birth to five children. She ran a book store for years, and more than once I witnessed her cuss out unruly customers. Now, she's made it through multiple rounds of chemo to treat lung cancer, but she's as fiesty as ever. Both widows now, these two ladies live active and interest lives. They both came to my book launch last month, and I consider myself lucky to have two such amazingly strong female role models.

Now, I'm not saying Lavinia is anything like my grandmothers. She's an evil bitch, no doubt about it. But as a writer, I love taking expectations and spinning them on their ear. Age doesn't always equal benevolent wisdom. It doesn't always equal compassion. Sometimes it equals a formidable foe who has the intelligence and strength to outwit and outman younger opponents. And, yes, sometimes that bitter husk of a villain can be a woman who's lived long enough to see her only child die and make her only grandchild pay the price.

Can anyone think of any other grandmother villains in fiction?

Comments

She's not a vampire (and this might be a spoiler), but the werewolf alpha in Marjorie M. Liu's "A Taste of Crimson" is the heroine's grandmother. And she ain't nice.
Nicole Peeler said…
There's the boob-hatted Gary Oldman in Dracula! He's not a gramps, that we know of, but he's old, for a bit. And he can also climb walls! And he has boob hair!
For some reason I keep thinking of Baba Yaga, but I don't think she was really a "grandmother".
Anonymous said…
I don'tknow what Ye Olde Anonymous said, but OUCH. It gives my PC a harddrive ache.
Thom Marrion said…
Well, as far as Drusilla was concerned, Darla was her grandmother.

Popular posts from this blog

THE WRITE PRETENDAS

Yeah, one more reluctant adult here with free books

Excerpt time!